Sunday, August 31, 2008

It Has Been A Good Weekend So Far



So with this weekend being Labour Day weekend, I knew that I would be needing to have a good time. After work I decided to have a night out for the first time in a long time. Friday night started out pretty well with an Irish Car Bomb and a few pints of Guinness with two friends of mine Cooper and Derrick at the local Irish pub while a traditional Celtic band played. And boy did they play; they were amazing. After leaving the pub, we ventured out on our bicycles over to a less-than desirable part of Phoenix where one of my favourite dive bars resides: Bikini Lounge.


When I say dive bar, I mean dive bar. The ceiling has fallen in multiple times after it has rained, the bathrooms are not what would be called sanitary, the crowd can be less than savoury (but quite entertaining) and at times the music that is played makes me want to punch babies in the face. Anyway, I digress. Upon arriving at Bikini, Cooper, Derrick and I ordered drinks. We went through two large pitchers of Blue Moon and hastled everone that walked past us. Talk about a good time. We decided to move on from Bikini and let the night take us where it did. I decided at that point to call it a night and retreat to the comfort of my bed and talk to my girlfriend on the phone.

Saturday morning rolled around and I decided to wash some dishes that I had been putting off for a day or so. That was a bad idea. Having been out drinking the night before, I woke up with a slight hangover and that impaired my ability to wash dishes. Well, not so much to wash dished but to handle them when they were wet. I went to place a just-washed plate onto the drying rack above my sink, when the plate slipped from my hand, fell into the sink below and broke into multiple pieces as well as splitting another plate in half. Needless to say this irritated me a bit and a profanity or two may have crossed my lips. I decided then and there that I would go to Ikea and purchase some new plates and bowls as well as silverware. Why silverware also? you might ask. Simple; I have somehow managed to lose some of my silverware since its purchase and do not have a full set anymore. So, I dressed and left my apartment for Ikea.

Upon arriving at Ikea, I was determined to stick to my plan of only purchasing plates, bowls and silverware. I do not know why I thought I could do that. Anyway, I ended up leaving Ikea with new plates and bowls, as well as silverware, but a few more items made their way into my cart as well. I also left Ikea with matching mugs for the plates and bowls, a grease spatter guard for my pans, a floor lamp, light bulbs, tea candles and tea candle holders. So much for sticking to my plan huh? Before you go and say that I am weak and can not commit to something just let me say this: have you ever been to ikea?! Just try to go there and leave with only what you originally wanted to purchase. I dare you.

I returned home and washed the new silverware as well as most of my new dishes, set up the floor lamp, installed the light bulbs and ate lunch. Ater lunch I decided that a little nap was in order. I napped on and off for a little bit and when I woke up, I remembered that I needed to work on my bicycle because a part was loose that should not be loose. I put on some shoes, took my bicycle down from the rack it hangs on and let for Derrick's house as he is the person with the tools I needed.

When I arrived at Derrick's, I observed him doing some yard work while Cooper was over working on customizing a bicycle. And by customizing I mean cutting, grinding and welding the the bicycle. After working on my bicycle and getting everything back to working order I assisted Cooper with his endeavour. After that project, we welded three matching girl's bicycles together. Why would you do a thing like that? you ask. The answer is a simple one. We (Cooper, Derrick and I) are going to ride this strange contraption to the various bars that inhabit the downtown Phoenix area. After discussing the possibilites of further modification to the newly-built "Bros' Bar Bike", I returned home for a phone date with my girlfriend.

After our phone date, I did some straightening up of my apartment as well as some light cleaning while having a text conversation on my cell phone with my girlfriend. I decided to wash the remaining new Ikea dishes and as I was doing so, my girlfriend called again. I was unable to answer her call becuase I had my hands in the sink and it was full of soapy water. I dried my hands and called her back. We talked for a short time and had to hang up and text message each other because her younger brother, who she shares a room with, woke up. We text messaged each other for a while before we said our good nights and went to sleep.

I awoke this morning to a text message from my girlfriend, and we text messaged until she had to go to church. After our text messaging, I received a text from my friend Felix inviting me over to his place for a BBQ. I gladly accepted the invitation. After I had done so, I thought to myself that this weekend was going quite well so far and I should blog about it. So, that is exactly what I did.....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I wish you lived closer. I would ask you to add a 4th bike to your contraption. Thou, in doing so you would no longer be able to call it something with bro in it...

I heard you voice in this and it was like you called and shared with me.

I miss you.